Designing a Yankee Barn Home is an exciting and rewarding process where you see your dream home develop and progress right before your eyes. The design process can be daunting, but knowing the process ahead of time alleviates many questions/concerns. This is how you will advance through the design of your beautiful new Yankee Barn.
1. SCHEDULE AND PREPARE FOR YOUR DESIGN MEETING
- Contact your Design Manager to schedule a Design Meeting. Design Meetings can be held by phone or in person, whichever is more convenient for you.
- Gather together examples of homes and rooms you would like to share with your Design Manager during the Design Meeting. You do not need to have all your design ideas figured out for this meeting but a few ideas will help expedite the process.
- Consider how you plan to use the rooms and spaces in your new home. Do you have dogs, cats, kids or grandkids to consider? Does anyone have special needs? Do you plan to host large family events at your house?
- Collect sample floor plans from YankeeBarnHomes.com. Make note of floor plans that have layouts similar to the floor plan you envision for yourself; it can be a helpful starting point.
- Browse the photo galleries on YankeeBarnHomes.com. Gather together images representing design elements you like. Consider general architectural styles, kitchen and great room layouts, window styles, exterior siding types, etc. Other photos and magazine clippings are helpful, too.
- Consider your investment plan. Before beginning the design of your Yankee Barn Home, determine the amount you plan to invest in your total building project. Your Design Manager will then be able to make design recommendations that are in line with your investment plan.
2. MEET WITH YOUR DESIGN MANAGER
In this meeting you will:
- Review and sign the Yankee Barn Homes Planning Agreement, which states the scope of services you will receive from Yankee Barn Homes during the Design Process
- Render your Planning Fee. This is a flat, one-time fee of $3,000-$5,000 depending on the size of the home, which is credited towards the total cost of your Yankee Barn Homes Shell Package.
- Work with your Design Manager to complete the Initial Design Interview. Your Design Manager will ask questions that will allow the design team to pull your ideas together into an inviting design of your custom home.
3. INITIAL SKETCH PLANS
You will receive your initial set of concept sketches approximately 2 weeks after your Design Meeting. Please review and provide feedback for the drawings your Design Manager sends you. Your Design Manager will also explain several design options for you to consider.
4. SCHEMATIC PLANS
Your Design Manager will work with your Design Team to incorporate your feedback into a revised set of Schematic Plans. Your Schematic Plans will be accompanied by:
- A Building Specification report that outlines the precise components to be included in your Yankee Barn Homes Shell Package.
- A detailed estimate for your Yankee Barn Homes Shell Package.
Review your Schematic Plans and Building Specification with your Design Manager. You will have the opportunity to make several revisions if needed. During this process, you may go to YankeeBarnHomes.com and log in to the Customer Login section to modify your Building Specifications.
5. PROGRESS PLANS
Your Design Manager will work with your Design Team to develop a set of detailed Progress Plans. Your Progress Plans will be accompanied by:
- A revised Building Specification report.
- The price quotation for your Yankee Barn Homes Shell Package.
- A Builder’s Cost Projection Worksheet estimating the finishing costs your General Contractor will charge for the work to complete the construction of your home.
Review any final changes to your Progress Plans with your Design Manager. You will have the opportunity to request additional revisions to the plans if needed.
You have completed the Design Process. Your next step is to move on to the Construction Process, initiated by reviewing and signing the Yankee Barn Homes Construction Agreement. Your 20% Construction Down Payment will reserve you a production slot on Yankee Barn Homes’ production schedule and authorize your design team to develop the Construction Plans for your new Yankee Barn home Shell Package.
WORKING WITH ARCHITECTS
Clients may opt to work with an independent architect to design their Yankee Barn Home. Yankee Barn Homes is happy to put together an estimate for an architect-designed home. Your Design Manager will communicate directly with your architect to review your architect’s Progress Plans and Window and Door Schedules prior to compiling the estimate. Once the Yankee Barn Homes estimate and Building Specifications are approved, the client proceeds directly to Step 6 above.
If you would like more information about Yankee Barn Home options, you can explore our floor plan options, call and talk to one of our design consultants at 800-258-9786 or fill out this short online form.