Building a home can be daunting, particularly as most people have not previously built a home. Here is a step by step explanation for how you will advance through the design process with Yankee Barn Homes.
1. Speak with a Customer Representative
The role of a Yankee Barn Homes Customer Representative is to help you research our product and discuss any specific design goals and needs you may have. We welcome the sharing of ideas or rough plans you might have in mind.
- Our Customer Rep will want to know what your estimated time frame for building is, if you own land, and your allotted investment for your custom post and beam home.
- When it appears we will be a good fit for each other, our Customer Rep will set up a meeting with on of our Yankee Barn Homes Design Managers. This can be a phone appointment, a face to face discussion at our Grantham, NH facility or a site visit, depending on which is more appropriate. Our Design Managers will provide more in depth construction information and review your design goals and plans.
2. Schedule and Prepare For Your Design Meeting
The design process is perhaps the most critical stage of building a custom home. This process not only determines the aesthetic of your home, it also determines the flow of the floor plan and the level of investment required to build a home.
- Consider your investment plan. Before beginning the design of your Yankee Barn home, determine the amount you plan to invest in your total build project. Your Design Manager will then be able to make design recommendations that are in line with your investment plan.
- Gather examples of homes and rooms you would like to share with your Design manager during the Design Meeting. You do not need to have all your design ideas figured out for the meeting but, a few ideas will help expedite the process.
- Consider how you plan to use the rooms and spaces in your new home.Do you have dogs, cats, kids, or grand-kids to consider? Does anyone have special needs? Do you plan to host large family events at your house?
- Collect sample floor plans from www.yankeebarnhomes.com. make note of floor plans that have layouts similar to the floor plans you envision for yourself; it can be a helpful starting point.
- Browse the photo galleries on our website. Gather images representing design elements you like. Consider general architectural styles, kitchen and great room layouts, window styles, exterior siding types, etc. Other photos and magazine clippings are helpful, too.
3. Meet With Your Design Manager
In the meeting you will:
- Review and sign the Yankee Barn Homes Design Agreement, which states the scope of services you will receive from Yankee Barn Homes during the Design Process.
- Render you Design Fee. This is a $3,000 fee for residential or utility use of less than 3,000 square feet ($5,000 for residential or utility use or 3,000 square feet or more of commercial or other public use). The entire fee is credited toward the total cost of your Yankee Barn Homes Shell Package should you choose to move forward.
- Work with your Design Manager to complete the Initial Design interview. Your Design Manager will ask you questions that will allow the Design Team to pull your ideas together into an inviting design of your custom home.
4. Schematic Plans
Your Design Manager will work with your Design Team to incorporate your feedback into a set of Schematic Plans. Your Schematic Plans will be accompanied by:
- A Building Specification report that outlines the precise components to be included in you Yankee Barn homes Shell Package.
- A detailed estimate for your Yankee Barn Homes Shell Package.
Review your Schematic Plans and Building Specification with your Design manager. You will have the opportunity to make several revisions if needed.
5. Progress Plans
Your Design Manager will work with your Design Team to develop a set of detailed Progress Plans. Your Progress Plans will be accompanied by:
- A revised Building Specification report.
- The price quotation from your Yankee Barn Homes shell Package.
Review final changes to your progress Plans with you Design Manager. You will have the opportunity to request additional revisions to the plans if needed.
You have completed the Design Process. Your next step is to move on to the Construction process, initiated by reviewing and signing the Yankee Barn homes Construction Agreement. Your 20% Construction Down payment will reserve a production slot on Yankee Barn Homes’ production schedule, authorize your Design Team to develop the Construction Plans for your new Yankee Barn home Shell Package, and lock in your price quotation.